It is no secret that the roof plays an integral role in a house structure. It does not come as a surprise that homeowners are always on the lookout for the most durable roofing options. While it should be providing the best protection, it should not have to be boring.
The roofing industry has witnessed a boom in designs and functionality. Metal roofing is one of the most popular roofing systems for these decades. It may not be an entirely new concept but it has seen a new high in the year 2020. New and innovative roofing possibilities are being added to the options daily.
The metal roof as a residential roofing system is very much trending because of the amazing benefits it offers. It lets the homeowners avoid disposable and short-lived alternatives. A metal roof can last up to half a century with minimal maintenance. If you are considering a metal roofing system for your home, it is best to dive into the latest trends and their pros and cons.
Metal Roofing Trends
Let us have a look at the popular trends in residential metal roofing for this year.
Table of Contents
1. Energy Efficiency
Energy efficiency is a rather modern topic among homeowners. General people think about the utility bills when it comes to roofing systems. More and more people are choosing metal roofs as they offer energy efficiency. The reflective coating on the metals prevents heat leaks and thus HVAC system of your house does not have to go through overdrive.
2. Solar-Ready Metal Roofs
Solar energy is an emerging trend. It may not be among the mainstream investment made by the homeowners but a lot of people are looking forward to solar cells. Roofing contractors are requested to install roofs that are appropriate to house photovoltaic cells.
3. Long Term Values
Homeowners are living in their homes for longer times as compared to the past, on average. This mindset calls for options that have long-term values. The appropriate option seems to be the one where they do not have to make changes now and then.
4. Aesthetic Appeals
When it comes to metal roofing systems, there is a huge variety of colors and designs. Gone are the days when the metal-colored roofs were suitable for warehouses and commercial buildings. The metal tiles can mimic tile, slate, asphalt shingles, and wood. Metal shingles shake, and tiles are also getting attention as the standing seam metal.
5. Lighter Colors
Dark-colored roofs have been in trend for a long period. Modern homes are being built with lighter colors. One prominent benefit of lighter color is that it absorbs less light thus making homes more energy-efficient. It gives a soft and welcoming look to the house exterior.
6. Flat Roofs
Flat roofs are another important roofing trend to watch in 2020. It allows for a more modernistic and minimalistic home exterior.
Pros of Metal Roofing
- Metal roofs are popular as they are lightweight. When you compare it with other roofing alternatives, it is extremely lightweight.
- Metal roofs can be installed over the existing roofing structures without adding additional supporting structures. There is no need to remove any of the existing structures.
- If you are installing metal roofing systems be prepared to pay fewer utility bills. Metals are reflective so they won't allow the heat to escape your house in winters. It prevents heat from entering your house in summer so your HVAC system won't have to work hard.
- The metal roofing systems can last for years and years. The maintenance costs of the metal roof are very meager as compared to other roofing materials.
Cons of Metal Roofing
- The upfront cost of the metal roofing renders it unaffordable for most homeowners. An installation is a cost-effective option when you sum up all the pros and cons but some people just can't afford it.
- The roofs can be a bit noisy as compared to other roofing materials. You can add layers of insulation to minimize the sounds or vibrations due to the downpours.
- The installation can be tricky. You need to hire the most experienced roofing specialist to install new metal roofing in Houston Texas. Poor installation practices can take down your whole investment.
- If you have metal roofs, you should minimize the trips to the roof as metal panels can dent easily. Be extra careful about metals touching or falling on your metal roof.
When you look at the pros and cons of metal roofs and current trends, the value of the metal roofing system comes to light. You get to choose from a variety of materials, colors, designs. Keeping the damages at ay is easier by following certain easy maintenance rules. The investment is for a long time to come!