On the overall look and feel of your bathroom interior, one of the most influential things could be the type and design of shower enclosure that you install in it. You should choose the style and design of frameless and semi-frameless shower doors because it will decide how your bathroom will look like. For those who have no experience in choosing and shopping the best shower enclosure for their bathroom, they can always seek professional help. There are many companies that are specialized in the interior décor of the bathrooms.
Whic is Better Frameless or Semi-Frameless Shower Door
For the initiated, there are major two types of bathroom enclosures:
- Frameless Shower Doors
- Semi-Frameless Shower Doors
Later in the post, we will discuss in detail the pros and cons of frameless shower door and semi-frameless shower enclosures.
Frameless Shower Door
As the name suggests, there is no frame around the glass in this enclosure. It is a clean and minimalist setup in which all the thought goes into the glass. Of course, you can choose which type of glass you want to install.
If you are wondering what holds the glass besides the glass in the absence of a dedicated frame, no need to worry. There are special systems such as clamps and hinges that keeps the glass in the place with almost no play in it.
Usually, luxury heavy glass is used for frameless shower enclosures, so you need to be cautious about the weight and setting of your bathroom before going for showerless frame enclosure.
In modern times, it is considered to be one of the most popular choice among the consumers. The design owes its fame in the timeless style and well-rounded utility. Typically, there is a pivotal or a bypass door to enter or exit the enclosure.
As far as the glass dimensions go, the most widely-used are ½” or 3/8”. If you are looking for a clean and seamless design, you can never go wrong with this design.
- A sleek, modern, and clean look that will show class and timeless element which defies time and space constraints.
- The design is firm and sturdy even in the absence of a solid frame. The operations are smooth and dependable.
- One of the best things about frameless enclosures is that they are easy to maintain and clean. So, you can forget cleaning schedule when it comes to this one.
- It offers natural light to come and disperse throughout the bathroom.
- Frameless have longer lifespans so you do not have to worry about replacements in the near future.
There are not many cons when it comes to this style of enclosure. One of the most frequent one that many homeowners complain is the professional installation that can cost some money. Due to heavy glass involved, it is prudent to have professionals onboard for its installation.
Semi-Frameless Shower Door
In essence, semi-frameless shower enclosures are a hybrid between the framed and frameless shower enclosures. When you look closely, you will find that there are bare edges with only glass, while the rest of the enclosure has a frame throughout. This results in the “semi” that many people have come to love about this design.
They are available almost everywhere with little exception. So, if your heart is set on it, you can get it from a bathroom accessories store near you.
The art in this design lies in the subtle amalgamation of the elements from both framed and frameless enclosures. In a typical design, the fixed panes of the enclosure that runs throughout the whole panel have some frame, whereas the door has bare edges. One of the most widely-used enclosure frame materials in this style of enclosures is aluminum. It is a sturdy metal which is waterproof, thus serves the best for framing in shower enclosures.
If you are in a mood for some experimentation, you can get brass and stainless steel for the frame part on your semi-frameless enclosure for a brushed up and clean look, but they are rare.
- They are economical when compared to the frameless enclosures which is a determining factor for many consumers.
- They are not up for maintenance and repairing every six months because of their durability. So, you can expect longevity from them.
- They offer clean and clear look, a plus for those who are minimalists.
- It is an intricate work and needs professionals for installation.
- There are many parts that you have to buy for proper installation.